We recommend that you review all of the instructions before starting the application process. If you know all of the details involved in each individual step, it will help you complete the process with the least amount of delays.
1. TAKE YOUR REQUIRED COURSES AT PURVIS REAL ESTATE TRAINING INSTITUTE. AFTER YOUR EDUCATION IS COMPLETED, you may apply for an Inactive Sales Agent's License with the Texas Real Estate Commission. TREC rules require a prospective Sales Agent to complete 180 classroom hours of qualifying education.
2. REGISTER FOR ACCESS TO TREC’S ONLINE SERVICES: Please register on TREC’s website and request a User ID. It is a fairly simple process but please be aware that the name used as the “Account Owner Contact Information” should be the name on your Driver’s License. Contact TREC with questions at 512-936-3000. TREC will email you a temporary password so that you can create a user account. If your temporary password is not received in your email IN box, check your email SPAM or JUNK email folder. https://mylicense.trec.state.tx.us/datamart/registration.do?from=loginPage (Scroll down to the lower left corner of the screen and select the text “You must first REGISTER HERE to get a User ID in this new system”).
3. CREATE YOUR APPLICANT LOGIN ACCOUNT: Your User ID is your email address. TREC will email a temporary password. Here is the link https://mylicense.trec.state.tx.us/datamart/login.do?logout=true You will need to be able to print or save your License Application Summary and Payment Confirmation. At the end of the Summary and Payment Confirmation is a bar code and ID number that you will need to submit with any correspondence or documents that are provided to TREC.
4. APPLY FOR YOUR LICENSE: The fee is $205. Use your name as it appears on your Driver’s License and your account registration/license application with TREC. Save a copy of your Application Summary as a PDF file or print a paper version of your Application Summary. To apply online, use the link and “Licensee or Applicant Login” area: https://mylicense.trec.state.tx.us/datamart/login.do?logout=true If you prefer to submit an application by mail, there is an additional $20 fee. Use the link: http://trec.texas.gov/pdf/forms/real-est/ISL-5.pdf
5. EMAIL OR FAX YOUR EDUCATION TO TREC: Send your real estate school course completion certificates, as well as a copy of your Application Summary and Online Payment confirmation form to TREC. The most efficient, time saving system is to email email@example.com the documents. The information can be faxed to 512-936-3863. When you email your documents to TREC, be sure to include your legal name in the name of any email attachments.
If you submit a complete application with all college transcripts, real estate course completion certificates, Background History Form (if necessary), license application confirmation and summary, the processing time is approximately 30 days. All of the supporting documents for your license application can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax to 512-936-3863.
6. BACKGROUND INFORMATION: If you answer “YES” to questions regarding probation, community supervision or license suspension, you must also submit the Background History Form via email email@example.com and the link is http://trec.texas.gov/pdf/forms/miscellaneous/bh-2.pdf Be sure that you can print your Background History Form OR that you can save your Application Summary and Payment Confirmation as a PDF file on your computer and email the info to TREC.
7. TAKE THE MEGA PREP COURSE AT PURVIS REAL ESTATE TRAINING INSTITUTE. While your application is being processed,
we recommend that you attend our one-day MEGA Prep Course to be sure you are prepared for the licensing exam. This course will take the guesswork out of studying and preparing for the test. You will be provided with ALL of the materials you need to pass the exam. When you pay for a 180 hour in classroom format course package, the Mega PREP course is included in your enrollment.
8. TAKE THE STATE EXAM AT PEARSON VUE. The state exam consists of two sections: National and State Specific portions. There are 80 multiple-choice questions on the National portion of the exam and 30 questions on the State Specific portion of the exam. You will have 4 hours to complete the exam. You will know your test scores as soon as you finish taking the exam. There are Pearson Vue exam locations in Hurst, Carrollton, Dallas, Abilene, Tyler, Waco and Austin. The exam fee is $54. Call Pearson Vue at 800-997-1248 to make an exam appointment. Remember, you cannot make an exam appointment until TREC approves your license application and provides you with an ID number which will allow you to access the Pearson Vue examination reservation system.
9. OBTAIN IdentoGO ID for fingerprinting. Before you make an appointment for fingerprinting, go to the TREC website to obtain your IdentoGO ID. You will need your TREC ID number to obtain your IdentoGO ID. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/FASTPass
10. SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT WITH MorphoTrust FOR FINGERPRINTS AND A BACKGROUND CHECK.
These are special FBI fingerprints which must be obtained specifically for TREC and the Department of Public Safety/DPS. An appointment is
required. The Service Code is 11G7QT. To make your appointment and pay the $45 fee, visit: https://tx.ibtfingerprint.com/index.php or call 888-467-2080.
11. INTERVIEW BROKERS. While you are waiting for your license application to be processed is one of the best times to interview potential brokers. Although broker sponsorship is NOT required to apply for your license, broker sponsorship is required before you may begin acting as a real estate agent. When you select a broker sponsor and submit your broker sponsorship form to TREC there is no fee required. Click here for the form: http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/forms/real-est/SF1-3.pdf
12. RECEIVE YOUR OFFICIAL REAL ESTATE LICENSE. If you previously submitted the Salesperson Sponsorship Form 1-3 to TREC, your active real estate salesperson’s license will be e-mailed to your sponsoring broker after you have passed the licensing exam.